Cold & flu season is here! Let’s discuss how to prevent and recover from upper respiratory infections
As many of us know, sometimes it may take days, weeks, or even longer to recover and feel fully back to normal once a cold & flu hits. That’s too long to feel outside of our optimal health.
Upper respiratory infections often include symptoms like sneezing, congestion, runny nose, sore throat, coughing, headaches, ears feeling swollen or plugged, inflammation, fatigue, and more.
Signs that an infection may be worsening or spreading will be of course if symptoms persist for more than just a few days. But if you begin to have shortness of breath, a fever that is consistently testing high, and/or if you have green or yellow phlegm when you blow your nose, these are also indications that your body may need you to interject a stronger intervention to get it back on track. That is when it is important to contact a health care provider and/or add an antibiotic or other medication.
As always, please check with your doctor before implementing any changes suggested here. Everyone’s body and situation is unique, for instance if you might be taking any other medications or if you have any health concerns. Please exercise particular caution and discuss with your practitioner if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or considering any of these supplements for children.
Supporting Your Body’s Natural Healing Processes
The best thing we can do for any illness is to approach it using a naturopathic perspective. What does this mean? Many treatments for various viruses come down to a few common principles, namely giving our body the right instruments and taking away the excess baggage so our bodies can do what they were designed to do best, which is heal. Once we can help our immune system get back on track, it’s often able to fend off these various colds, viruses, and mysterious illnesses.
So what are the top 3 things we should avoid in order to give our bodies a fighting chance?
- Refined sugars, especially white sugar
- Dairy products like cow’s milk, cheese, etc.
These products consistently produce inflammation in human bodies. When our bodies are busy from fighting these, or overworked from our overuse of these products, it weakens our body’s overall ability to fight off something larger when it comes along.
Load up on these instead:
- Organic bone broth; classic chicken noodle soup is also a great remedy
- Fresh veggies
- Herbal teas; the best for soothing respiratory issues include licorice, marshmallow and mullein
- Freshly grated ginger and honey also works wonders
- Water with a pinch of Celtic or Himalayan salt for improved absorption and hydration
My favorite supplements to give your body the edge over those pesky viruses:
- Mushroom extracts: (https://doctordoni.com/product/mushroom-complex-sap-90-capsules/)
- Hesperidin: (https://doctordoni.com/product/hmc-500mg-60-capsules/)
- Immune Support: (https://doctordoni.com/product/dr-doni-s-immune-support-60-capsules/)
- Immune Support PLUS: (https://doctordoni.com/product/dr-doni-s-immune-support-plus-120-capsules/)
- Silver Hydrosol: (https://doctordoni.com/product/silver-hydrosol-fine-mist-spray-2-oz/)
- Vitamin A Support: https://doctordoni.com/product/dr-donis-vitamin-a-support-100-soft-gels/)
All of these are available through our online shop: (https://doctordoni.com/dr-donis-nature-empowered-store/), and be sure to watch the full episode for recommendations on correct dosing, combinations when taking multiple supplements in conjunction, and how to properly space treatments throughout the day to get the most effective counteraction.
Many of these supplements are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and are preferred before a course of antibiotics, which puts a lot of stress on the body and should only be taken when necessary. Couple these nutrition boosts with hot showers (or a nice hot bath), and plenty of rest, put this cycle on repeat and you will start feeling better each day.
How Stress Is Related to Cold & Flu
If you find yourself fighting illness after illness, and recovery is painfully slow, stress may be the ultimate culprit. To find out what your unique stress type is, and what you can do about it, you can do the Stress Type Quiz in my book: (https://doctordoni.com/master-your-stress/) or on my website: https://doctordoni.com/quiz/stress-quiz/.
You can also order my home test to measure your cortisol and adrenaline levels (as stress always is related to an imbalance of these in our bodies), so you know exactly where you stand. Get it here: https://doctordoni.com/product/assess-your-stress-type/.
The human body is incredible in its capacity for healing, when given the proper tools. Please send us any feedback, comments, or questions regarding these or other health concerns you may have. We are here for you, so you can focus on living your fullest life, through all seasons!
If I can be of more assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me to set up a one-on-one appointment if you prefer.
You can also enroll in my most recent Masterclass: Transform Your Life: Get to the Root of Anxiety and Depression:
Lastly, now would be a good time to download Dr. Doni’s Cold & Flu Guide. This free, helpful resource will get YOU prepared for cold & flu season – and to recover quickly!
We’re here to help you!
Connect with Dr. Doni:
- Facebook https://facebook.com/drdoniwilson
- Instagram https://instagram.com/drdoniwilson
- YouTube https://youtube.com/user/DoniWilsonND
- Weekly Wellness Wisdom Newsletter: https://doctordoni.com/www
More Resources from Dr. Doni:
- Start with Dr. Doni’s Stress Quiz:
- Order My New Book: Master Your Stress, Reset Your Health
- Stress Warrior Book (FREE)
- Stress Warrior Stress Resiliency Group (FREE)
- 7-day SelfC.A.R.E Stress Reset
- HPV & Cervical Dysplasia Guide (FREE)
Disclaimer: This specific article and all other Content, Products, and Services of this Website are NOT intended as, and must not be understood or construed as, medical care or advice, naturopathic medical care or advice, the practice of medicine, or the practice of counseling care, nor can it be understood or construed as providing any form of medical diagnosis, treatment, cure, or prevention of any disease.