One of the latest trends in nutrition and health is intermittent fasting, and for good reason. And yet, it is not new. Intermittent fasting has been around as long as humans have existed.
So, what is it that has brought our attention back to the concept of “time-restricted eating”?
As Dr. Sally LaMont [IG @drsallyskitchen], a naturopathic doctor for 40 years and good friend of mine, explains in this episode, intermittent fasting is associated with decreased obesity (weight loss), improved blood pressure and memory, and increased longevity.
That means we could add years to our lives by not eating for at least 12 hours overnight.
How does that happen? When our bodies fast for at least 12 hours, it turns on something called autophagy, which is how our bodies clean out damaged cells and debris inside our cells. As we get rid of what we no longer need, it stimulates the growth of new healthy cells, including in our nervous system.
Fasting also turns on the ability to burn fat, which is what often wish we could do all the time. The default for our bodies is to burn carbs (glycogen) and muscle tissue first. But once we’re in a fasted state, we start burning fat, such as that stubborn fat that likes to hang out on the waist and hips.
Meanwhile, when the fasting window of 12 to 16 hours is over, then it is time to eat. What you choose to eat is just as important as when you choose not to eat, according to Dr. Sally.
She has created a blog, videos, and online course teaching viewers how to choose the healthiest, nutrient-dense, antioxidant-filled, tasty foods. You can find it at https://drsallyskitchen.com.
By eating well in a finite eating window, and then not eating from after dinner, overnight, and into the morning, you’ll be making a big difference in your health. Be sure to listen in to this episode to find out all the details of how to do it and where to get more support.
If you have diabetes, are pregnant, or have a major health issue, be sure to check with your doctor or practitioner before starting a new diet or fasting plan.
Connect with Dr. Doni:
- Facebook https://facebook.com/drdoniwilson
- Instagram https://instagram.com/drdoniwilson
- YouTube https://youtube.com/user/DoniWilsonND
- Weekly Wellness Wisdom Newsletter: https://doctordoni.com/www
More Resources from Dr. Doni to Support Women:
- Stress Warrior Book (FREE)
- Stress Warrior Stress Resiliency Group (FREE)
- 7-day Stress Reset (FREE)
- HPV & Cervical Dysplasia Guide (FREE)
- If you’d like to meet with Dr. Doni one-on-one for your health, request a Health Breakthrough Session: https://doctordoni.com/breakthrough
- To get an idea of more comprehensive options, read about Dr. Doni’s Signature Consultation Programs: https://doctordoni.com/services