Many people are afraid to do a detox or cleanse – and for good reason!
My body has ALWAYS been sensitive to cleanses, and I’ve tried all sorts of them. While in naturopathic medical school, I tried elimination diets, liver cleanses, juicing, fasting, and more. I learned from the experiences, some of which were not fun at all!
Needless to say, I’ve been determined to create a “cleanse” that doesn’t make a person feel worse!
When people think of a “cleanse,” they often think of products that address the digestive tract. In fact, many companies sell a cleanse-in-a-box, which is essentially a week’s worth of laxatives, and call it a cleanse.
While having regular bowel movements is absolutely a good thing — that’s NOT the whole point of a cleanse.
The point of a cleanse – from a medical perspective:
- Eliminate toxins
- Reduce inflammation
- Restore the body to optimal functioning
Doesn’t that sound like something you’d want everyday?
That’s what I’m thinking!
Rewind to 8 years ago when I completely eliminated gluten from my diet. Symptoms in my body that indicated toxins and inflammation — such as canker sores and headaches — finally went away. And I felt better, not worse.
This is how The Hamptons Cleanse was born. And in 2016, I updated it and renamed it to the Stress Remedy Programs (with a 7-day or 21-day version).
- Gluten and other food sensitivities (IgG and IgA reactions) ARE toxins (stress) to your body because they trigger inflammation and more work for your liver.
- We also know — from research — that irregular blood sugar levels (even if not diagnosed as diabetes) increase inflammation in the body and result in weight gain (fat cells make more inflammation). Sugar and alcohol only add to this issue.
- Plus the toxins that we usually think of like plastics, pesticides, and pollutants—which your liver has to process everyday.
Address those issues and we’ve created a cleanse. It’s that simple.
- Avoid the most common food sensitivities — Gluten, Dairy Eggs and Soy.
- Avoid sugar, alcohol, and artificial sweeteners.
- Eat small meals containing protein every 2 to 4 hours.
- Choose organic foods and filtered water. Avoid toxins in your environment.
- Then give your body what it needs—sleep and gentle exercise (if you are ready).
Okay, so are you ready for the Stress Remedy Program?
Are you experiencing fatigue, achiness, low mood, and just plain feeling “blah?”
Now you can choose to cleanse the way that fits you best:
- DIY = Do It Yourself with my online tools.
- Self-Guided = with my product recommendations and weekly tips.
- Dr. Doni Guided = with a consultation from me, products and DAILY tips.
We are learning more and more about genetic mutations that influence the way each of us detoxify foods and chemicals that come through our bodies. That may explain why we each feel differently when we “cleanse” and why we need to cleanse in the first place.
In the near future, we will know more of exactly which nutrients your liver needs to help process toxins. At this point I recommend that everyone be tested for the MTHFR mutation to find out if you need activated folic acid to help your detoxification and methylation pathways. You can even ask your doctor to order it in your next blood work, or get it yourself online here.
Still, we ALL have a human body which actively processes food and toxins everyday.
Why not minimize the work your body has to do? Even for 21 days—and see how you feel.
A report from day 10 of the 21-day Stress Remedy Program:
“Just wanted to let you know I’m feeling great! Following the plan has been easy and the benefits are many. My fog has lifted! Concentration and alertness are way up. I was so toxic recently I was having word retrieval and speech problems, completely cleared up now!!! My energy level is consistent and I’m even pooping one to two times a day! :-).As an added bonus, I’ve lost six pounds! Crazy right?! I’m so happy and feeling motivated. Thank you for empowering me to a healthy life!”
–Not even hungry, Laurie (day 10 of the Stress Remedy Program)
Have you tried a cleanse before and, if so, what do you notice happens when you avoid toxins and get better sleep? Please share your experience in the comments below. Or, if you’re considering trying one of the two Stress Remedy Programs and have some questions, comment below and I’ll be happy to answer.