‘Tis the Season for Colds and Flu
With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we become more susceptible to catching a cold or the flu. And yet being sick is the last thing we need with so much to do…or when we finally have time off from work.
I’m going to share my tips for a fast recovery…but first let’s look at why we become more susceptible to viruses.
Five common causes of lower immune function:
- lack of sleep
- exposure to food intolerances (dairy, gluten, eggs, etc)
Add increased exposure to viruses due to travel and holiday events…and you’ve got a pretty high likelihood of having a virus sneak past your immune defenses.
So what can you do to boost your immune system to prevent catching a virus or to recover faster when a virus catches you?
Immune Boosters :
Nutrients – Vitamin C, A, zinc, and Larch arabinogalactans (ARA)
Herbs – mushrooms, Andrographis, Scutellaria, and adrenal supportive herbs
Homeopathics – Triple Flu Defense (TFD), prepares your body for fending off a virus
It’s so hard to be sick. It wipes out your week, and it can make its way to all your family members in your house. One of my best tips, which can give you the best chances of a fast recovery, is to act quickly. As soon as you notice sneezes and a runny nose, take these steps…
Dr. Doni’s Tips for a Fast Recovery:
1. Extra rest – naps and extra sleep.
2. Use heat to your advantage – heat kills viruses, so as long as it is not contraindicated for you, a hot shower or bath can help your immune system do its job. A fever is a concern over 102 degrees. Be sure to consult a practitioner for help with fevers.
3. Keep fluid moving – blow your nose and take a product, such as HMC, to decrease fluid production. Bacteria love it when liquid stands still, and we want to prevent bacteria from finding a happy home in your body.
4. Salt is your friend – salt kills bacteria, is anti-inflammatory, and thins out phlegm. Gargle salt water and do a quick rinse of salt water through your sinuses.
5. Support your immune function with the various nutrients and herbs that research shows to be effective. Have a practitioner help you with appropriate doses.
EHB – Vitamin C and A, zinc, echinacea, garlic, and more—all help your immune system to knock out viruses and bacteria.
HMC – natural anti-histamine, decreases fluid production.
TFD – a combination of homeopathic remedies for cold and flu symptoms, in a gluten-free and dairy-free liquid form.
Dose your nutrients and herbs frequently – every 3-4 hours*. And if you plan to be on an airplane, or around someone who has a cold, then support your body as if you have already caught the virus.
If you’d like to be prepared with the products I mentioned, you can find them in my online store.
Please let me know if I can help you conquer the common cold!
*Please keep in mind that any and all supplements—nutrients, herbs, enzymes, or other—should be used with caution. My recommendation is that you seek the care of a naturopathic doctor (with a doctorate degree from a federally-accredited program) and that you have a primary care physician or practitioner whom you can contact to help you with individual dosing and protocols. If you ever experience negative symptoms after taking a product, stop taking it immediately and contact your doctor right away.