As published in Easy Eats Magazine, 5-minute expert, in the November/December 2012 issue, from Dr. Doni.
The stress of the holiday season can send us head over heels into illness and fatigue. We already have our stress response triggered an estimated 60 times on a regular day. Imagine what it’s like with added holiday stress.
5 tips to live by:
1. As best as you can, get 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night.
2. Eat protein every 3 to 4 hours.
3. Exercise, even just for 15 minutes, 3 times a week.
4. Make time for yourself to de-stress.
5. Keep sugar and alcohol to a minimum.
By following these tips, or even if you can be consistent with one or two of them, you will help your body to recover from and adapt to stress, and to maintain wellness.
Thanksgiving offers an opportunity to apply a proven “technique” for de-stressing: experiencing gratitude.
It is quite remarkable that something as simple as feeling thankful can make you healthier. And yet research is proving it to be the case.
Just as our brains tell our muscles to flex, they also tell our nerves, hormones and other messengers how to respond.