Whether camping or staying in hotels, it can be tricky to figure out how to stick to the foods that help you feel your best.
Those of you who have modified your food choices to match your body know how priceless it is to feel good, and how costly when certain foods sneak in. It becomes worth it to plan ahead and to choose carefully, no matter how tempting the dish!
At the same time, I often hear how no one wants to be the “high need” guest or the person who can’t leave home for fear of feeling terrible for a week.
While it may seem as though you are more sensitive then you were before you started avoiding your IgG food intolerances…actually you feel so much better, more of the time that it is so much easier to notice when you don’t feel good.
Here are my quick, easy and nonchalant tips for keeping yourself feeling well, while you travel.
- Continue to eat 1/2 size meals every 3-4 hours, always with some protein
- Bring your protein shake (I put mine in a Ziplock bag) – for breakfast and snacks
- Get a pill case from the pharmacy to organize your supplements, or pack them in labeled zip lock bags
- Ask for a refrigerator in your hotel room (to put the other half of your dinner)
- Bring protein bars and/or nuts (on the plane and in the car)
- Look for food places that have salad + protein (chicken/turkey/salmon/beans)
- Drink water and green tea every chance you get
Gluten-free specific tips:
- Google the name of the city and "gluten-free" to find nearby restaurants that match your needs
- Scan menus for options where gluten can be easily removed
- Order your burger without the bun
- Bring gluten-free instant oatmeal packets (easy to get hot water most places)
- Bring your own dessert! (perhaps in the form of a gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate bar)
- Offer to bring a dish or to help cook (if cooking with others) – and make it gluten-free
I’d love to hear your ideas and what you’ve found helps you survive a trip! (comment area below)
Happy travels to you!
DONIELLE WILSON is a women’s health expert and Naturopathic Doctor with a private practice in New York City, Port Jefferson, NY, and Connecticut. She specializes in showing women and their loved ones how to achieve their wellness goals by finally getting the answers they’ve been looking for to their most perplexing health challenges. To learn more about Dr. Doni and her unique approach to achieving health naturally, please visit Dr. Doni today.