One of my favorite presentations at the Integrative Health Symposium 2011 was by Dr. Walter Crinnion, a naturopathic physician who specializes in environmental toxicity.
As when I've heard Dr. Crinnion speak in the past (he was my professor at Bastyr 14 years ago!), I was incredibly inspired to consider environmental toxicity as a cause of health issues, including fatigue, brain fog, feeling off-balance, asthma and/or allergies, depression, headaches and/or chronic pain.
In fact, Dr. Crinnion says that symptoms often attributed to aging, are actually due to years of exposure to toxins.
Dr. Crinnion recently wrote the book Clean, Green and Lean which brings to light the fact that extra pounds can be lost simply by cleaning up your diet and home environment. What an eye-opening to what we are exposed to in our food, air, body products and water! I highly recommend the book, for everyone!
Here are a few quick checks for your home and work environment:
- Is your water filtered?
- Do you have an air purifier?
- What percentage of your diet is organic?
- How much is your food exposed to plastic?
Yes! These things absolutely make a difference!
Did you know:
- Farm raised fish are contaminated with chlorinated pesticides (PCBs)?
- Candles are one of the major sources of toxins in your home?
- Pesticides and insecticides are toxic to humans?
- Heated plastic containers transfer plastic into your food?
If you are experiencing fatigue, brain fog, or feeling off balance, it is important to consider exposure to:
- Heavy metals (fish, amalgum fillings)
- PCBs (fish, dairy) and pesticides (insect treatment in home)
- Solvents (paint, glue, carpet, cleaning products, perfumes, exhaust)
- Combustion by-products (fireplace, candles, smoking, stoves)
- Plastics, and more
First steps to helping your body to clear out the toxins and feel better:
- Eat all organic produce and free-range, hormone free poultry, meat, dairy and eggs
- Choose wild fish, and avoid fish high in mercury (swordfish, tuna, and more)
- Drink filtered water and install chlorine filter for shower head
- Use an air purifier (with charcoal and HEPA filters) for your bedroom
- Drink 2-3 cups of green tea every day
- Eat 1/2 cup frozen (organic) berries per day and broccoli (or brassica foods)
- Avoid heating food in plastic containers
- Remove shoes in your home
- Avoid smoking, air fresheners, scented detergents and dry cleaning
Read more, including specifics to clean up your home and diet, (especially if you are not quite convinced) in the book!
Dr. Crinnion will take you on a "toxin tour" of your home, help you to set up a plan to change things around, and provides a bunch of gluten-free recipes and a menu plan.
I am here to help you too! There are tests that can help us to determine exactly how much metals, solvents and PCBs are in your body. And there are carefully determined protocols for removing them from your body, and for supporting your body to process them as you lose weight. It is not something to take lightly, and with training from Dr. Crinnion, I can help you.
Please let me know if you feel that toxins may be having an impact on your health.
DONIELLE WILSON is a women’s health expert and Naturopathic Doctor with a private practice in New York City, Port Jefferson, NY, and Connecticut. She specializes in showing women and their loved ones how to achieve their wellness goals by finally getting the answers they’ve been looking for to their most perplexing health challenges. To learn more about Dr. Doni and her unique approach to achieving health naturally, please visit Dr. Doni today.