Watch out! The viruses are out! I’m hearing about cold/flu symptoms from patients…sore throat, runny nose, cough…and would love to help you avoid it and/or fight it off right away.
Of course it is when stress is at it’s highest that you will be most susceptible. Makes me think of the times I had the worst sinusitis…when I had very little sleep (up studying for an exam, traveling across the country or taking care of baby Ella).
Remember…the real problem with a cold or flu virus is that it creates a situation where you are more likely to get a bacterial infection. Bacteria LOVE fluid (aka runny nose). So the first priority when you do catch a virus is to fight it off as soon as possible and to prevent a bacteria infection, which will also avert the need for antibiotics (which are great when you need them, but not so great to your body when overused). Save antibiotics for when you absolutely need them.
Instead…I recommend that everyone (adults and children) use Triple Flu Defense (TFD), which is a liquid homeopathic remedy that is reformulated each year based on the current viruses. Take it once a week to prevent a cold/flu virus from catching you. If you feel like symptoms are starting, take TFD three times per day. I have it in my office; just send a note if you need me to send you a bottle. ($30.00 per bottle; 8 months of prevention for 1 adult)
A patient told me a story yesterday about how she and her family were exposed to a cold last week. She pulled out her bottle of TFD and gave some to everyone. None of them got sick.
Here are more things you can do if/when cold symptoms begin:
- Sore throat? Gargle salt water. (Salt kills bacteria, thins mucus and decreases inflammation)
- Hot shower or bath, then to bed early.
- Magic socks! Cold wet socks, covered by dry warm socks, then bundle up.
- Take Vitamin C (500 mg), Zinc (30 mg) and Echinacea/Goldenseal every 4 hours*.
- Herbal Medicinals Throat Coat Tea (with raw honey) as much as desired.
Sinus congestion? Many of you know how much I love a nasal rinse!! I finally found a product that allows for easy nasal rinsing, with the right concentration of salt. It is called “Nasopure” and I have them in the office now too! Click to order.
If you (or your children) tend to get long-lasting or recurrent symptoms, and often need antibiotics, let’s talk before it hits you. This way we can prepare your immune system with additional products to keep you on guard.
In the meantime, remember…
- Sugar (and alcohol) lowers your immune response for 8 hours after every teaspoon.
- When you get less then 8 hours of sleep, you are twice as likely to catch a virus.
- The way you address a virus within the first 8 hours after symptoms begin, is a major determining factor in how long the cold will last.
- IgG reactions set you up for catching a cold/flu, so be sure to stay away from foods you are sensitive (intolerant) to.
Watch for a quote from me in Real Simple magazine regarding natural ways to fight a cold. Click here!
I’m here to help you through the cold/flu season, with as little impact as is possible.
Stay warm and well!
*Please keep in mind that any and all supplements—nutrients, herbs, enzymes, or other—should be used with caution. My recommendation is that you seek the care of a naturopathic doctor (with a doctorate degree from a federally-accredited program) and that you have a primary care physician or practitioner whom you can contact to help you with individual dosing and protocols. If you ever experience negative symptoms after taking a product, stop taking it immediately and contact your doctor right away.