Did you know that the New York Association of Naturopathic Physicians (NYANP) is on the path toward obtaining state licensure for Naturopathic Doctors in New York State?
Licensure will allow Naturopathic Doctors to provide you with the
services we are trained to provide after completing a 4-year doctorate
program at a naturopathic medical school. We are trained as general
practitioners who specialize in natural medicine. We are held to
federally recognized standards of education and professional
Naturopathic Doctors are licensed in 14 states, Puerto Rico, the Virgin
Islands and 4 Canadian provinces. In those places, patients are able to
choose Naturopathic Doctors as primary care providers who are able to
prevent, diagnose and treat disease with an array of supportive,
natural medicines. Naturopathic Doctors are experts in drug/nutrient
and drug/herb interactions and we are trained to know when to refer for
further medical care.
Here is what you can do to help:
- Send an email to your legislators quickly and easily. Go to www.nyanp.org and follow the links to “Take Action by writing your legislator using Capwiz.”
- Provide financial support. Your donation is greatly appreciated.
- Inform others about Naturopathic Medicine and the need to support licensure in New York.
- Stay informed by joining the NYANP mailing list.
How will New Yorkers benefit from a license?
- New Yorkers will have access to naturopathic medicine by qualified NDs.
- Naturopathic Doctors will be able to offer more services, the services
they are trained to provide: perform exams, order lab tests, diagnose
conditions, implement treatment and prevent disease.
- New Yorkers will be able to easily identify Naturopathic Doctors with physician level training.
- Public safety will be ensured by requiring NDs to meet rigorous educational standards and to pass national board exams.
- There is a greater likelihood that insurance coverage will be made available for Naturopathic care.